Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pop-Up Book Card Tutorial (6" x 6" card)

I made a card a few postings ago that had a pop-up feature in the inside, HERE


As I wrote previously, the card was based on Bente's card posted HERE.  She provided a template, but it's in metric and her card measures 14.5cm x 25cm, which converts to 5 1/8" x 6 1/8".  I wanted to make a 6" x 6" card, since that is my preferred size.

I'm not sure what to call this style of card.  Bente called it 'brettekort' (in Norwegian) and Google translated it to 'short board', which doesn't sound like the right translation to me, do you? For want of a better name and based on my first impression that the pop-up looks like a book, let's just call this a 'Pop-Up Book Card'.  (If there's already a name for this or a better suggestion, let me know.) 

Anyway, here's how to make a similar card.

Materials required:
- one 6" x 12" cardstock for the card front (and back)
- one 5 7/8" x 12" cardstock for the card inside (will be trimmed to 5 7/8"x 11 7/8" after scoring)
- designer papers, coloured images, embellishments, etc. to decorate your card as you desired

Here are the templates and if you're good at interpreting templates, you probably won't need to read the rest of this posting.  But some of you may want more step-by-step instructions.


Edited:  I've converted the measurement to centimetres, but sorry I don't have the step-by-step instructions in centimetres.


Printable template:  Pop-Up Book Card (6" x 6") PDF 
Printable template in centimetres:  Pop-Up Book Card (15cm x 15cm) PDF

Instructions:

Step 1 - Card Front and Back
Let's do the card front first as it's very straight forward and you don't really need instructions for it, do you?  Take your 6" x 12" cardstock and score midway at 6".  Fold along scoreline.  Put aside.



Step 2 - Card Inside
Take your 5 7/8" x 12" cardstock and cut along the 1" line from the paper edge, from 2" to 10", as shown.  Do the same on the other side.



Step 3 - Creating Valley-Fold Scorelines
On the 1" strips of paper (top and bottom), score at 4" and 8" from the cutlines to the outer paper edges.  On the middle strip of paper, score between the two cutlines at 2", 6" and 10". 



Step 4 - Creating Mountain-Fold Scorelines
Turn the paper upside down.
On the 1" strips of paper (top and bottom), score at 6" from the cutlines to the outer paper edges. On the middle strip of paper, score between the two cutlines at 2 3/4" and 9 1/4". 



Step 5 - Creating a Thin Border
Cut off a 1/16" strip of paper from each left and right side of your card.



Step 6
Valley-fold and mountain-fold along scorelines



Step 7
Spread open your folded card and apply glue to the underside of your card as shown below.



Step 8
Adhere the card inside to the card front (and back) by positioning it to create an even thin border on all sides.



Step 9
And there you go!



Now you can decorate the card in any way you desired.  Have fun with this!


37 comments:

Danielle Champagne said...

Norma thank you so much! I will keep that preciously! and will try too. Hugs.

Donna said...

Thank you for the lovely tutorial Norma, will have to try this sometime. BTW it's a lovely card you made.
hugs
Donna xx

Ivonne said...

Thanks for the tutorial Norma. I am definitely going to try it. Hugs, Ivonne

NPurdum56 said...

Thank you SO much for the tutorial! I have only made simple cards but have always loved the unique cards that everyone else has made. The many different styles are wonderful. I now can try something different, thanks to you! :) Nancee

Only By His Grace said...

Wow Norma!
You are the most cleverest person for making these wonderful card tutorials. You card is awesome.
I am going to have a go at making this card for a DT craft show I am making cards for.
Great tute.....thanks heaps.
Hugs Maz

mlarisa said...

Oh, Norm, thank you very much! I'll definitely try to make the same card.

Durvina said...

Wow, beautyfull, thanks for the tutorial and the inspiration!!

hugs, Durvina

Louise said...

Fabulous tutorial Norma, thanks for sharing
Louise

Miranda Slagboom-de Groot said...

It's gorgeous. Thanks for gthe tutorial.
Hugs Miranda

rovianne said...

Absolutely stunning. And thanks so much for the tutorials always.

Dena said...

Shut the door!!!!! I am making one of these!!!! AWESOME! Seems me and you love these kinds of cards haha! Gotta try it soon! Thanks so much for the inches conversion and LOVE your card to bits!
Hugs, Dena

Mojca said...

oh waw your card is amazing Norma! thank you som much for the tutorial, I have to try it out it look so cool. hugs! mojca

Céline said...

thanks so much Norma, i want it and you did it lol !
thanks
céline

Cordine said...

Gorgeous card Norma! And thanks for the great tutorial. We have everything metric in the Netherlands but with scrapbooking/cardmaking i love the inches!!
Hugs
Cordine

Zulma said...

Thanks Norma for this great tutorial!! LOL! I can't wait to make one of this. Hugs, Zulma

Cathy Lee said...

Fabulous card, Norma. You always have such thorough instructions in your tutorials, Hun. Thanks a bunch and I'll be trying this one out. Your Tildas look gorgeous inside and out.
Hugz,
Cathy Lee

Patricia St Martin said...

Norma, Just stunning!~ Thank you for the awesome tutorial.
Hugs, Patricia

Olga said...

Hello!
I just discover your blog by Tilda's Town blog and I love it!!! Your works and tutorials are amazing!!!!
Olga

cathylynn said...

Thank you so much Norma for sharing your tutorial for this fabulous card style. Oh my I must give this a try. Your card is totally beautiful!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much Norma for this tutorial. I've been wanting to try this card fold out! What a gorgeous job you've done with this card. Love your color choices and beautiful papers and your coloring is awesome as ever! big hugs, Angela

mirella said...

very very good! From Italy

cabio's craft corner said...

Gorgeous card and beautiful folds!
LOL Norma, I can't keep up with your creativity. Another awesome tutorial and one more to add onto my 'to do list'. Thank you for another fabulous tut!!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for another great tutorial, Norma! I'm so grateful you take the time to share! Thank you! Hugs, Elizabeth x

Nathy l-d said...

Merci beaucoup pour le partage, c'est absolument merveilleux cette création
Bises

Heidie said...

thank you for the great tutorial. I made a card with this great tutorial. The card is on my blog. With a link to your blog.

hugs Heidie

M@miogée said...

Coucou
Merci pour ce tuto. Cette merveilleuse carte je l'ai réalisée pour un anniversaire. Je l'ai faite avec beaucoup de plaisir et elle a beaucoup plu à la personne qui l'a reçue.
Encore merci pour vos tutos.
Bon Week-end
Marie

Marianne Louise said...

Like this card. Thanks for the tutorial. Think I'm going to make one soon. I pinned it on my pinterest page so I won't forget it.

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

Gorgeous card and thanks for tutorial
hugs Tamara

Zena Mc said...

Can't believe it's the first time I've come across your blog. Thanks for such great ideas.

Caz said...

Thank you for the tutorial...lovely card..xx

Unknown said...

Hi, just come over your blog! Love it! I know it's a almost a year you posted this, but just want to let you know that "brettekort" in Norwegian means "folded card". Looking forward to see all your cards. Merry Christmas and happy new year!

Hugs, Qiong Yao.

Christina C. said...

I love this card style, Norma! Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial...will have to try it!

Véro said...

Hello Norma!Thank you so much for all your tutorials.It's extremly kind of you to share all your wonderfull ideas.I love all your cards:bravoooo!!!

mjf said...

Merci pour cette très jolie carte.
Mjeanne

Paula J Atkinson said...

Stunning card & thank you so much for sharing an easy to understand tutorial on how to create one.

JD/ Jill said...

What a beautiful card! Thank you so much for the tutorial and template. Can't wait to give it a try.
I just recently found your blog. I'm one of your newest followers...Thank you for all the inspiration.

Leslie King said...

I know this is a rather old post, but I just wanted to thank you so much for your wonderful tutorial! Using your fantastic instructions, I was able (with only minor hair-pulling and fraction conversions) to create a template file in Cricut Design Space that I can now use as often as I wish. (Slightly scaled down, of course, to fit the 11.5 inch cutting surface.) Very much appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...